Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS)
Recognized internationally as one of the most comprehensive and trusted certifications, the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) follows a product and its components all the way from the farm to your home. This prestigious certification is part of the USDA’s National Organic Program and requires that 95% of the materials used in a product be organic. The remaining 5% must conform to strict guidelines and may not contain flame retardants or polyurethane foam.
How Does the GOTS Certification Work?
As a body with regional representatives in the processing countries as well as the sale countries, GOTS assesses and certifies materials and brands as well as finished products and lists all of the brands and products that have passed their inspections in the GOTS Public Database.
If you buy a product with a GOTS certification, check to make sure that the GOTS logo appears with the required license number and applies to the individual product as well as to the brand—it is possible that not all of a participating brand’s products have been assessed and verified as compliant at the time of purchase.